Nurse Jackie Recap 2.8 – Monkey Bits
Fiona’s (Mackenzie Aladjem) busted lip is the opener of this episode and she is oblivious to the fact that her 2nd grade teacher is concerned about it. He grills her in an attempt to get her to admit that she’s been abused and an unknowing Fiona confesses that she was not taken to the doctor for her stitches and that they were done in the kitchen. The teacher is convinced and Jackie (Edie Falco) is forced to cut off the cast during Show and Tell to convince the teacher that the cast .as not real, and that as a nurse with a best friend who is a doctor, the stitches done in the kitchen were fine.
Dr. O’hara (Eve Best) is still upset that she is not the one and only for Sara (Julia Ormond). She ignores her calls and tries to get over it. Jackie tried to make her feel better by telling her that it is possible to love two people at once, as she loves Kevin (Dominic Fumusa) and thinks she loves Eddie (Paul Schulze). Her attempt didn’t work – O’hara says she would rather die than be Kevin or Eddie.
Dr. Cooper (Peter Facinelli) tries to hook Eddie up with his friend, but Eddie acts as if he’s already taken. He says he’s good until Dr. Cooper shows him the picture of her. After confirming it’s a recent one, Eddie is in. Playing his usual games, he sends Jackie a text “I have a date”. Jackie replies “do what you want”. However, when he brings her on a date to Kevin’s bar, it infuriates Jackie. As the perfect wingwoman, Dr. O’hara sees what is about to go down and forgets her own issues and suddenly has to go. Jackie plays along as if she doesn’t think she should go alone, and the two rush out.
Lesson learned – A gunshot victim is hauled into the ER and Jackie promises her that she would be there when she wakes up from surgery. On her way out of the hospital after the day, she stops in the girl’s room and apologizes that she was not there, saying that the day got away from her. The girl explained that Jackie promising to be there when she woke up was the only thing that kept her from losing it. The girl told her to keep the bullet they removed from her head, and to remember to keep her promises.
Highlights (those little things that make the show so great)
- Jackie did not get high once in this episode…and she was a bitch through the whole thing.
- Akalitus (Anna Deavere Smith) tells new nurse Sam (Arjun Gupta) he needs improvement so he has to shadow Jackie for the day. Jackie protests and Akalitus tells her to take it to HR. Sam tauntingly says “I have no problem going to HR”. Jackie gives him the evil eye “shouldn’t you go pee in a cup?”… He doesn’t flinch, “shouldn’t you?”.
- We never see Kevin and Jackie make up from last week’s argument, but their dysfunction is apparent with short phone calls throughout the day.
- Jackie confesses to a heartsick Dr. O’hara that she didn’t really like Sara anyway. She enjoyed being her only “girl”.
- Grace (Ruby Jerins) has her first doctor’s appointment with the psychiatrist. As she is tugging on one of her braided ponytails, she looks at the floor and says “I think I might like being a patient”.